National Youth Leadership Training
National Youth Leadership Training
**This course has changed dates and location**
**NEW DATES - Weekend #1 July 23-25 | Weekend #2 July 30-31, Aug 1st
**NEW LOCATION - Wood Lake Scout Reservation, Jones, MI
National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed to provide youth members with leadership skills and experiences they can use in their home troops and other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
NYLT is a six-and-a-half-day course. Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster.
Scoutmasters have the responsibility of training the youth leadership of the troop. The purpose of NYLT is not to assume that role, but to support it. Some of the objectives are: to focus on the concepts of what a leader must BE, what he must KNOW, and what he must DO; to emphasize the immediate application of learning in a fun environment; to model a month in the life of the "ideal" troop; to provide youth with a toolbox of leadership skills consisting of crucial course concepts; to operate in alignment with the Scout Oath and Law, and to have fun!
- Be at least 13 years old by the first day of the course.
- Scouts in a troop must hold the rank of First Class. (No rank applies for crew members or shipmates)
- Currently hold or plan to hold soon, a leadership position in a troop, crew, or ship.
- Recommended that the candidate completes Introduction to Leadership Skills (ILST) before attending the NYLT course.
- $50.00 non-refundable deposit due upon registration
- Total course fee:
Youth (Y) - Early (until May 31) $250.00 - Late (after May 31) $300.00
Youth Staff (Y) - $75.00
Adult Staff (A) - $100.00
Campership Applications Due by April 15th
Camperships are open to youth from families with financial circumstances would mean that a high-quality residential camp experience would be unattainable without external financial support. The specific financial circumstances of the family will determine whether they are eligible for full or partial support.
To be eligible, the following guidelines must be met by the youth applicant:
- Register within the LaSalle Council and in good standing for at least 30 days before completing an application.
- Youth attending a LaSalle Council operated summer camp to include Day Camp, Cub Scout Resident Camp, Webelos Resident Camp, or Scouts BSA Resident Camp.
- Youth attending an official La Salle Council, District, Area or National training conference, for example, NYLT (National Youth Leadership Training
- Recommended by his or her unit leader to include Committee Chair, Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Advisor, or parent/guardian.
In keeping with the philosophy of "pay your way," each youth should pay a portion of the fee. Camperships are awarded based primarily on need. The more information the campership committee has about the Scout's particular need, the better. The La Salle Council also reserves the right to consider the unit's participation in Council administered product sales as demonstrating a concerted effort to raise these funds. The family and unit should also contribute to the cost of the camp experience. Camperships awarded will not exceed 50% of the event fee.
Applying for campership aid must be done by APRIL 15th to allow time for review and response. If approved, the campership amount will be sent to the camp or the National Conference when registration of the individual is confirmed. Fees will be credited as camp payment in the Scout's name within the La Salle Council Summer Camp Reservations portion of its website. The campership is to a specific individual and is not transferable to other youth. You can find the application below under the Campership Application.
|Course Director||Ronn Fosteremail@example.com|
|Campership Application||Submit to Sarah Carpenter | firstname.lastname@example.org||Download|
|NYLT ADULT STAFF Application||Download|
|NYLT Personal Equipment List||Download|
|NYLT YOUTH STAFF Application||Download|
|Sleeping Quarters Recommendations||Download|